Saturday, September 30, 2006

Controversy at Calvin Theological Seminary

I happened to see a table by a representative from Calvin Theological Seminary last week, to publicise their programs, especially their doctoral programs since Regent does not offer doctoral degrees. Incidentally, I came across this recent controversy, which is still going on in the South. According to a Grand Rapids Press, Dr Ruth Tucker, a prominent professor at Calvin Theological Seminary has charged a sexual discrimination at her institution's administration. According to the Grand Rapids Press article,


"I was being held to a different standard than my male colleagues," Tucker, 61, said. "I do not believe that, had I been an insider and a man, that this ever would have happened to me."

In a lengthy, hard-hitting account on her Web site, Tucker, who taught missions and church history, calls her experience a "nightmare" and accuses administrators of covering up her appeals of a demotion three years ago.

"I hope that by telling my story no one else will ever have to endure such a painful ordeal as I have and that positive changes will come to the school," Tucker writes at www.ruthtucker.net.

Though unwilling to go into details, seminary officials deny Tucker was discriminated against at the seminary founded in 1876.

"I believe that Professor Tucker as our first woman faculty member was really important to Calvin Theological Seminary, and we continue to be intent on using the gifts of women," said the Rev. Cornelius Plantinga Jr., president of the 300-student seminary.

The head of the seminary board said a committee thoroughly investigated Tucker's allegations, and trustees had hoped to promote her.

"I feel she was treated properly, especially by giving her accusations full review," said board President Sidney Jansma Jr.


Dr Ruth Tucker apparently felt the GR article above did not fully represent her view, hence she made her blogsite public.

Apparently, the CTS administration chose to remain silent. Lacking information, I suspend my judgment on such matters and prefer to pray for all parties concerned at this point. Let me know if you have further information on this.

No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines