Monday, February 09, 2009

A Telephone Prayer

Yesterday's sermon is still on my mind. It is about forgiveness. This prayer is a prayer that can be used to seek forgiveness for not connecting with people, when one has the chance. In an age where everything seems to be moving in cyber-speed, human communications get squeezed into our convenient schedule, straitjacketed into our sterotyped images and compressed into words without meaning. Isn't that a modern way of "Having Eyes that do not see or ears that do not hear?" Translated, we may be living in an age where technologies not only connects us, it can disconnect us as easily as well. For all its benefits, let us not forget that there are flaws. Real flaws, that unless we realize that technological speed does not equal human pace, we will be spinning ourselves quickly into oblivion faster and sooner. Worse, our attitudes can spread to the younger ones who quickly pick up our habits and will eventually out-SMS, out-Facebook, out-email and out-communicate us into obsolescence.

A TELEPHONE PRAYER FOR THE BUSY PERSON
"I have just hung up; why did he telephone?
I don't know.... Oh! I get it . . .
I talked a lot and listened very little.

Forgive me, Lord, it was a monologue and not a dialogue.
I explained my idea and did not get his;
Since I didn't listen, I learned nothing,
Since I didn't listen, I didn't help,
Since I didn't listen, we didn't communicate.

Forgive me, Lord, for we were connected,
and now we are cut off." (Michel Quoist)

No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines