Monday, April 20, 2009

Karen's Favourite (I Know I Need to Be In Love)

What makes a favourite song? I suppose it must be that one special connection in that quiet and special moment. The Carpenters have collected many hits over the years. Many of them have achieved Platinum status, their albums hitting the bestseller charts year after year. I cannot find any equivalent singer of their stature these days. It strikes me as I was listening to this song, that out of the many popular tunes belted out, this song: "I Know I Need to Be In Love" is Karen's Carpenter's all-time favourite song. I was asking myself, "What makes this song a top favourite?" According to her brother Richard Carpenter, it was because the song reflects exactly the deepest emotions of her heart at that time. That is what makes anything a favourite. It has to be able to echo our most personal self. As you listen to this song, you cannot help but feel that it is something that has been troubling Karen for a while, and she was truly singing it from the bottom of her heart. In order to become a favourite, the song must possess:
  • Meaningful Lyrics;
  • Melodious Tune;
  • Powerful Singing;
  • Deliberate Tempo;
  • Well choreographed music;
  • Echoing the heart.

This song contains all of the above. The chorus is especially powerful:
I know I need to be in love
I know I've wasted too much time
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find




What is your favourite song? I suppose it has to be something that is able to connect you with the past, giving some hope toward the future and to help one be rooted in the present. This song may not do all three for you, but it sure brings back wonderful memories of Karen Carpenter, my favourite singer. I love this song, even after all these years.

ks

No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines