Tuesday, August 02, 2011

The Discipline of Representing Jesus

Currently, I am going through Lee Strobel's and Mark Mittelberg's book called "The Unexpected Adventure." (you can read my review here). There are many brilliant ideas about how to come out of our personal comfort zones, to share our lives to represent Christ wholesomely. Today's reflection comes out of Day 20 Adventure entitled: "Representing Jesus."

I am especially moved by one letter in the book written by Maggie.

Do you know, do you understand 
that you represent Jesus to me?

Do you know, do you understand 
that when you treat me with gentleness,
it raises the question in my mind
that maybe He is gentle, too.
Maybe He isn't someone
who laughs when I am hurt.

Do you know, do you understand 
that when you listen to my questions
and you don't laugh,
I think, "What if Jesus is interested in me, too?"

Do you know, do you understand 
that when I hear you talk about arguments
and conflict and scars from your past,
I think, "Maybe I am just a regular person
instead of a bad, no good little girl
who deserves abuse."

If you care,
I think maybe He cares - 
and then there's this flame of hope
that burns inside of me
and for a while I am afraid to breathe
because it might go out.

Do you know, do you understand 
that your words are His words?
Your face is His face
to someone like me?

Please, be who you say you are,
Please God, don't let me be another trick.
Please let this be real.
Please!

Do you know, do you understand 
that you represent Jesus to me?

(quoted in Strobel et al, The Unexpected Adventure, Zondervan, p135-6)

When she wrote the letter and gave it to the pastor, it was just a few days after she had given her life to Christ. When asked why did she believed in Jesus, Margie replied:

"Well, I just met a whole bunch of people who were like Jesus to me." (p137)

Wow! No theological debates. No big time witness. No mass displays of Church power. Just a whole bunch of people. It is simply the power of caring and witness as authentic believers in Christ. When Jesus says:

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:34-35)

Simple. If we can practice this, imagine how the good news can spread? Let's continue to shine for Christ, by representing Jesus to one another, and to people around us. It is possible, with God's help. Let me further encourage you my readers, that we are able to love, because Jesus first loved us.

Thought: "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves." (Victor Hugo)

conrade

No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines