Saturday, May 19, 2012

On Regret

This is particularly applicable to those of us too busy, especially those in ministry.

"When I look back over the schedule I kept thirty or forty years ago, I am staggered by all the things we did ….

Were all those engagements necessary?

Was I as discerning as I might have been about which ones to take and which to turn down?

I doubt it.

Every day I was absent from my family is gone forever….

I would also spend more time in spiritual nurture, seeking to grow closer to God so I could become more like Christ.

I would spend more time in prayer, not just for myself but for others.

I would spend more time studying the Bible and meditating on its truth, not only for sermon preparation but to apply its message to my life.

It is far too easy for someone in my position to read the Bible only with an eye on a future sermon, overlooking the message God has for me through its pages."

- (Billy Graham, from Just As I Am, his 1997 autobiography)

No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines