Friday, June 15, 2012

Prayer of Betty Scott Stam

OMF Missionaries (John and Betty Scott)
/ Martyrs for Christ
I came across this prayer after listening to a talk by Elisabeth Elliot, the widow of the Christian martyr, Jim Elliot. According to Elliot, this prayer is a daily prayer offered to God by Betty Scott. I read it, and I am moved. I am also moved to ask, "Do I dare to pray this prayer?"

What strikes me in this prayer is that the OMF missionary couple, the Stams, were both horribly executed in China, for the sake of the gospel.

"Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes,
all my own desires and hopes,
and accept Thy will for my life.
I give up myself, my time, my all,
utterly to Thee to be Thine forever.
Fill me and seal me with Thy Holy Spirit.
Use me as Thou wilt, send my where Thou wilt,
work out Thy whole will in my life at any cost,
now and forever."
The moving story of John and Betty Scott can be read here. Some of us don't even dare to sing aloud "I Surrender All" in Church. May God raise up conviction among His people.

conrade

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Never heard of Betty Scoot Stam till today(found out about them, John her husband, through a bible study). So moved when I look at their lives and the young life of their daughter. How God no only gave grace to them, to lay down their lives, but merciful grace to Helen. May I have the courage to pray this prayer daily. To God be the Glory!

Latest Posts

Headlines