Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Midweek Meditation: "Footprints in the Sand"

These days, I have been thinking of the Footprints poem, which remains one of the most popular writings on walking with God even when we are not aware. There is even a Youtube video here.



FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND

One night I had a dream--
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord 
and across the sky flashed scenes from my life. 
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints, 
one belonged to me and the other to the Lord. 
When the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in my life.
 
This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it. 
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you would walk with me all the way,
but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints. 

"I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
you should leave me." 

The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child, 
I love you and I would never, 
never leave you during your times of trial and suffering. 
"When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Origin: Unknown (Sources disputed)

conrade

No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines