Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Midweek Meditation: Difference Between "Busyness" and "Being Hurried"



"Being busy is an outward condition, a condition of the body. It occurs when we have many things to do. Busyness is inevitable in modern culture. If you are alive today in North America, you are a busy person. There are limits to how much busyness we can tolerate, so we wisely find ways to slow down whenever we can. We take vacations, we site in a La-Z-Boy with a good book, we enjoy a leisurely meal with friends. By itself busyness is not lethal.

Being hurried is an inner condition, a condition of the soul. It means to be so preoccupied with myself and my life that I am unable to be fully present with God, with myself, and with other people. I am unable to occupy this present moment. Busyness migrates to hurry when we let it squeeze God out of our lives.
"

(John Ortberg, Soul Keeping, Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2014, p134)


No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines