Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Midweek Meditation: "Like a Precious Stone"

A monk in his travels once found a precious stone and kept it. One day he met a traveler, and when the monk opened his bag to share his provisions with him, the traveler saw the jewel and asked the monk to give it to him. The monk did so readily. The traveler departed, overjoyed with the unexpected gift of the precious stone that was enough to give him wealth and security for the rest of his life. However, a few days later he came back in search of the monk, found him, gave him back the stone, and entreated him, “Now give me something much more precious than this stone, valuable as it is. Give me that which enabled you to give it to me.” 
(Anthony De Mello)
================
Let our faith be like that of a pilgrim who gets enlightened to seek after the One who made the precious stone? As we pray for our needs in this world, remember not the gifts we seek after but the Giver who provides all that we need.

conrade

1 comment:

Michele Morin said...

I keep reading and re-reading this legend because I want to absorb its truth. Thank you for putting it in my path this week.

Latest Posts

Headlines