AUTHOR: Jonathan Grant
PUBLISHER: Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press, 2015, (256 pages).
On the former, Grant probes the reasons why our modern perceptions of sexuality have become so dysfunctional and worldly. Instead of people living out their sexuality out of personal authenticity, tragically, many people have done the reverse by using sex as a way to find themselves. Expressions of sexuality have also been done under the guise of liberal behavior where individual freedoms trumps community needs. In such a climate, modern views of sex are becoming more: 1) Utilitarianistic (using others for self-benefit); 2) Expressivistic (heavy individualism); and 3) Postmodernistic (where exercising freedom is more important than actual freedom). By doing so, we become vulnerable to consumerism, detachment, narcissism, and all kinds of worldliness. Instead of sex as a unique and wholesome human expression, people are using sexuality as a way to find themselves. He is particularly critical of churches that have lost their vision with regard to sexuality and human relationships. As far as Grant is concerned, it is truth that transforms, not expressive sex. For that to happen, we need a new vision of sex that he calls, “Divine sex.” This book is about discussing the following questions:
- What is it about our cultural moment that has led to such a complex dysfunction in sexual relationships?
- In what significant ways is our secular context shaping our sexuality?
- What is the Christian vision of relationships, and how can Christian leaders give that vision power in people’s real lives?
- Eschatological: Our sexuality must be seen in context of God's future revelation;
- Metaphysical: Our sexuality is linked to both the present reality and the future kingdom to come;
- Formational: Our sexuality needs to grow to a mature state;
- Missional: Our sexuality expresses God's character that we can witness as whole beings for God.
This book is provided to me courtesy of Brazos Press and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions offered above are mine unless otherwise stated or implied.