Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Midweek Meditation: Third Century Wisdom (Cyprian, Bishop of Carthage)

On Baptism
"Let us, then who in baptism have both died and been buried in respect to the carnal sins of the old man, who have risen again with Christ in the heavenly regeneration, both think upon and do the things that are Christ's."

On True Safety
"No one is strong in his own strength, but he is safe by the grace and mercy of God."

On Faith and Doubt
"When I had drunk the Spirit from heaven, and the second birth had restored me so as to make a new man of me, then at once in an amazing way my doubts began to be resolved, doors that had been closed to me opened, dark places became light, and what before had seemed difficult now seemed easy to me."

On Unity
"The sacrament of unity, this bond of peace inseparable and indivisible, is indicated when in the gospel the robe of the Lord Jesus Christ was not divided at all or rent, but they cast lots for the raiment of Christ, to see who should put on Christ for clothing."

"He who rends and divides the church of Christ cannot possess the clothing of Christ."


No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines