Friday, May 18, 2007

What I am Reading

I am reading Chaim Potok's My Name Is Asher Lev. His usage of words and attention to details are most profound. Observations are made in short simple sentences and nouns are repeated in a fascinating spiral manner. He makes words come alive. "I grew up encrusted with lead and spectrumed with crayons." epitomizes his artistry with words and natural colours. Potok writes as if he is drawing a literary art.

As for repetition, just read his description of his own drawing and you will know what I mean.
The drawing felt incomplete. It bothered me to have it incomplete. I closed my eyes and looked at the drawing inside myself, went over its contours inside myself, and it was incomplete. (p34)
Chapter 1 ended pretty abruptly: "I had stopped drawing." One phase has closed. It opens another.

....to be continued....

No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines