Friday, September 24, 2010

WQRP - A Quiet Time Tip

MAIN POINT: Ever had problems about Quiet Time? Troubled because you are not sure how to do it? Perhaps, this article is for you. Enjoy using the WQRP method as you spend a quiet moment with the Lord. Enjoy a cuppa with God.

What is that one thing that distinguishes earnest Christians from nominal ones? I believe the single most defining feature is their faithfulness in doing their "Quiet Time." I first learned of this term when I joined a Christian Fellowship during my undergraduate years. People would carve out a few minutes to an hour to spend time reading the Bible, praying, writing and conversing with God during quiet moments of the day. It is a discipline of a believer. It is the mark of a Christian disciple. It is the tending of the heart toward spiritual growth.


I have been doing various kinds of quiet time during these years. I admit it has not been very consistent in terms of my formula. In fact I do more QT moments during busy years working in a full-time job as an engineer. These days, I have more time to reflect due to the nature of my job. After all, I am a pastor. More than that, I simply love the Word of God, that my Quiet Time become a 'Quiet Day' as I pray at each opportunity throughout the day. I recall verses I memorize, and when I write I use the Bible and apply its truths in my articles. This is indeed a privilege to be able to be in a position like the man in Ps 1:
"But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night." (Ps 1:2)
My Personal Tip - WQRP
Maybe, let me share with you a particular formula that perhaps can assist you in your Quiet Time with the Lord. Some of us may have devotional materials. Feel free to use them. For me, I recommend a Bible and a song/hymn book. After allocating a regular time per day, and a suitable place, remember the acronym WQRP.

1) WORSHIP & WORD
Start with singing a hymn or a chorus. It does not need to be long. Pick a passage from the Bible. Read it at least twice. The first time is to familiarize yourself with the passage. The second time is done with an eye to understand the meaning of the text. Then read it a third time, this time more meditatively. For example, let's read Ps 1:2. I will read through the entire Psalm quickly the first time. This way, not only do I familiarize myself with the passage, I get to know the context. Then in my second reading, I will slow down as I approach verse 2. I note the word that begins verse 2: "BUT." Then I feed on the entire verse, slowly, surely and meditatively.

2) QUESTIONS
In this second part, I must not be too quick to assume I understand what God is saying straightaway. That will be like pressing the answer bell prematurely before the teacher asks the question. Let the Holy Spirit guide. Context is important. Often, understanding the context will resolve a lot of our questions. Patient and accurate reading will illuminate more.

Continuing the example in Psalm 1:2, I ask:
  • What do you mean by 'delight?'
  • What is meditation?
  • What does the Psalmist mean by 'day and night?'
  • How is this verse linked to the former verse in the beginning?


3) REFLECTION
Here is where things become interesting. In fact this is increasingly my challenging part. Here what I do is to link what I am reading with a challenging thought on how the passage can be applied to me in modern times. Do not worry if you do not have the answers. Keep the questions alive throughout the day. Asks questions that are meaningful at your point of your spiritual life.
  • If this spiritual man is the holy yardstick, how close am I to achieving it?
  • Is this kind of a spiritual life possible for us in busy societies?
  • How on earth is it possible to meditate 'day and night?' We have to work too right?

4) PRAYER
Simply because I place prayer at the end, does not mean it should be the last thing to do. In fact, prayer and meditation on the Word goes hand in hand. I pray throughout my devotional time. When I read the Word, I pray for the Holy Spirit to guide me. When I asks QUESTIONS, I let the Holy Spirit guide my focus toward grappling with the Truth in the Bible. When I probe my heart with a challenge, I pray that the Holy Spirit will guide me gently to find the most appropriate teaching moment. For example, you can conclude by praying:
"Dear Heavenly Father, Thank You for this intimate moment with You. Thank You for showing me a man whose delight is in pursuing after You. I pray that You give me this delight constantly, that I can be a blessing to people around me. Show me how to be Christlike in my day ahead.

I'll see you tomorrow, same time and same place. But if I bump into You during the day, I'll be most happy. I ask in Jesus's Name. Amen"
 For a start, do the WQRP if you do not have any particular Quiet Time method. Adapt it to your situation and once you have the momentum going, derive your own QT styles and methods and share with others.

May this spark off a WQRP moment for you. Remember, it does not have to be long. Just make it delightful, no matter how short it is.

conrade

No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines