Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Top 10 Books for 2010

As I review the year 2010, here is a list of Top Ten Books. While several are published this year, the list is compiled from the books I have managed to READ this year. These books are only based on those I have managed to blog about on YAPDATES. There are many more that I have read but didn't have the time to write a review. I list them in descending order, meaning my top selection is at the bottom of the list. I know that there are a lot more great offerings out there, and this list is certainly a glimpse of the books that have impacted me this year.

  1. "Counterfeit Gods" by Tim Keller, Dutton: 2009; (my review)
  2. This book makes the list because it speaks so much into the need to be careful of our heart, that tends to become a factory that manufacture idols.
  1. "Tea with Hezbollah" by Ted Dekker and Carl Medearis, DoubleDay: 2010; (my review) This book is a great eye-opener for Westerners to understand the mind of the Middle-East culture. It is also a call for Christians to understand love also from an Islamic perspective.
  1. "Virtual Integrity" by Daniel J Lohrmann, Brazos Press: 2008; (my review)
  2. This is the best book with regards to e-Integrity. As a technology person, it is my concern that technology is increasingly being used to lie and to deceive people. This book gives us tips to be safe on the Internet as well as to preserve one's sense of honesty and authenticity.
  1. "Plan B" by Pete Wilson, Thomas-Nelson, 2009; (my review)
  2. I love this book for its very disarming way of giving people hope even though our life's Plan A's seems to be failing. It gives us a renewed hope to give ourselves a second chance at life, and that perhaps God's will for us is the faithful living out of Plan Bs.
  1. "When the Heart Waits" by Sue Monk Kidd, Harper: 1990; (my review)
  2. This beautiful book solidifies my belief that we need to learn to cultivate a waiting heart not only for God, but a patient disposition. In a world that is increasingly impatient, this book gives an antidote we all need desperately
  1. "Outlive Your Life" by Max Lucado, Thomas-Nelson: 2010; (my review)
  2. Clearly the best book by Lucado so far, about outliving what we think we are capable of. The best is yet to be.
  1. "Beyond Opinion" Ravi Zacharias, Thomas-Nelson: 2007; (my review)
  2. I love this book. It does not simply argue but walk with the reader gently through philosophy, hard questions and gentle guidance in the area of Christian apologetics.
  1. "The Hole in the Gospel" by Richard Stearns, Thomas-Nelson: 2009; (my review)
  2. Wow! This is a fantastic book to get ourselves out of our comfort zone.
  1. "The Grace of God" by Andy Stanley, Thomas-Nelson: 2010 (my review)
  2. I love this book for its simple and effective coverage of grace from a biblical perspective.
  1. "Bonhoeffer - Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy" by Eric Metaxas, Thomas-Nelson: 2010; (my review)  
  2. My #1 choice because of the sheer inspiration of one life that dares to combat one of the greatest evils of the century. It is this blog's book of the year.

No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines