Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Midweek Meditation: Second Century Wisdom (Polycarp)

Polycarp (AD 69-155)
Refusal to Deny Christ
"For eighty-six years have I been Christ's servant, and he has done me no wrong, and how can I blaspheme my King who saved me?"

"Leave me as I am, the one who gives me strength to endure the fire will also give me strength to stay quite still on the pyre, even without the precaution of your nails."

On Idolatry
"If anyone does not refrain from the love of money, he will be defiled by idolatry and so be judged as if he were one of the heathen."

"Beware of greed and remain pure and just. Restrain yourself from every vice. He who cannot restrain himself, how will he be able to teach others restraint?"

On Prayer
"Keep looking forward in prayer, and persevering in fasting; beseeching in supplications the all-seeing God to lead us away from temptation."

If you are interested in an article about the martyrdom of Polycarp, click here.

c

No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines