Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Midweek Meditation: "Why Should We Love God?" (Bernard of Clairvaux)

Why should we love God?

You want me to tell you why God is to be loved and how much. I answer, the reason for loving God is God Himself; and the measure of love due to Him is immeasurable love. Is this plain? Doubtless, to a thoughtful man; but I am debtor to the unwise also. A word to the wise is sufficient; but I must consider simple folk too. Therefore I set myself joyfully to explain more in detail what is meant above.

We are to love God for Himself, because of a twofold reason; nothing is more reasonable, nothing more profitable. When one asks, Why should I love God? he may mean, What is lovely in God? or What shall I gain by loving God? In either case, the same sufficient cause of love exists, namely, God Himself." (Bernard of Clairvaux)

******

Truly, one of the reasons why we are unable to love God for who God is, is due to our pre-occupation with ourselves and our own needs. If God is God, we must adopt the attitude of John the Baptist, and to pray this prayer: "God, let me decrease that You may increase more and more in my heart."

No comments:

Latest Posts

Headlines